This is our most in demand workshop every year. We highly recommend this workshop to everyone even if you're a contractor. Learn all about different wall frames, how to use them, build them and why you need them. What is a batter and why. This workshop will be hands on how to build 2 styles of foundations with the best tools for the job. Basic overview of tools of the trade. How and when to best use them and with what types of stone. Last but not least how to read stone and how to put it to the best use. Hands on sorting and palletizing material.
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!.... Assessing Space, Planning, and Wall terminology. Learning the Fundamentals are the starting point for any waller. A skill set which will be needed for any project regardless of size.
2-Day 8:30 am - 4:00 pm, All Levels, Homeowner - Contractor
Are you considering the path of certification? Understand why you should in the video below by Brian Post DSWA Examiner Master Craftsman. The freestanding wall workshop is the place to start your journey. You will learn the proper process of what is involved in a DSWA level 1 test by strip out and rebuild of a freestanding wall. (DSWA Level 1 6'L x 4'.5" H wall stripped out and rebuilt in 7 hours.) A workshop is a great place to work at a comfortable pace learning the steps for success.
All workshops are a simple and easy pace with no heavy lifting, plenty of stone and a beautiful scenic environment with horses grazing in the background.
What you will learn:
• Proper dry laid stone methods
• Strip out, organizing and rebuilding of existing wall section a your own "V" section both sides down to below tie stone. Keeping safe distance from those next to you.
• Sorting and selecting the right stone for the right place
• Basic tools - overview & demonstration - Hammer and Chisels
• Feather and wedging overview & demonstration (great technique for making caps, tie stones, steps and much more)
• Walking Tour of on-site examples of dry laid stone walls (discussion)
• Safety, tools, worksite, equipment
• Possible Demo & Operation of Mini Skid Steer (participation is optional)
• Optional - Slideshow presentation Saturday end of day (Dependent on interest level)
Stone type: Flat bedded sandstone local to region. Wall stone including Laurel Mountain, Colonial Blue Stone and PA fieldstone to name a few.
This workshop is also great for those who are interested in Retaining Walls. A freestanding wall is the same fundamental principles.
(Note: this workshop will be a strip out and rebuild of an existing wall. Some tools will be covered in this workshop.)
April 24 2022 Sunday, Steps Workshop (Sponsors: Grabo Suction Tool) 1 Day Workshops $175*
* NOTE these workshop prices are a NON-REFUNDABLE PURCHASE