• Oct 19-20, 2019 2 day (Saturday/Sunday) Freestanding Wall Workshop $450
All Levels, Homeowner - Contractor, 2-Day
Are you considering the path of certification? Understand why you should in the video below by Brian Post DSWA Examiner Master Craftsman. The freestanding wall workshop is the place to start your journey. You will learn the proper process of what is involved in a DSWA level 1 test by strip out and rebuild of a freestanding wall. (DSWA Level 1 6'L x 4'.5" H wall stripped out and rebuilt in 7 hours.) A workshop is a great place to work at a comfortable pace learning the steps for success.
All workshops are a simple and easy pace with no heavy lifting, plenty of stone and a beautiful scenic environment with horses grazing in the background.
What you will learn:
• Proper dry laid stone methods
• Strip out, organizing and rebuilding of existing wall
• Sorting and selecting the right stone for the right place
• Basic tools - overview & demonstration - Hammer and Chisels
• Feather and wedging overview & demonstration (great technique for making caps, tie stones, steps and much more)
• Walking Tour of on-site examples of dry laid stone walls (discussion)
• Safety, tools, worksite, equipment
• Demo - Operate - Mini Skid Steer Ditch Witch SK850 (participation is optional)
• Possible Slideshow presentation Saturday end of day (Dependent on interest level)
Stone type: Flat bedded sandstone local to region. Wall stone including Laurel Mountain, Colonial Blue Stone and PA fieldstone to name a few.
This workshop is also great for those who are interested in Retaining Walls. A freestanding wall is the same fundamental principles.
(Note: this workshop will be a strip out and rebuild of an existing wall. Some tools will be covered in this workshop.)