Fundamental Building Skills workshop All Levels, Homeowner - Contractor, 1-Day 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
This is our most in demand workshop every year. We highly recommend this workshop to everyone even if you're a contractor. Learn all about different wall frames, how to use them, build them and why you need them. What is a batter and why. This workshop will be hands on how to build 2 styles of foundations with the best tools for the job. Basic overview of tools of the trade. How and when to best use them and with what types of stone. Last but not least how to read stone and how to put it to the best use. Hands on sorting and palletizing material.
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!.... Assessing Space, Planning, and Wall terminology. Learning the Fundamentals are the starting point for any waller. A skill set which will be needed for any project regardless of size.
Are you considering the path of certification? Understand why you should in the video below by Brian Post DSWA Examiner Master Craftsman. The freestanding wall workshop is the place to start your journey. You will learn the proper process of what is involved in a DSWA level 1 test by strip out and rebuild of a freestanding wall. (DSWA Level 1 6'L x 4'.5" H wall stripped out and rebuilt in 7 hours.) A workshop is a great place to work at a comfortable pace learning the steps for success.
All workshops are a simple and easy pace with no heavy lifting, plenty of stone and a beautiful scenic environment with horses grazing in the background.
What you will learn:
• Proper dry laid stone methods
• Strip out, organizing and rebuilding of existing wall
• Sorting and selecting the right stone for the right place
• Basic tools - overview & demonstration - Hammer and Chisels
• Feather and wedging overview & demonstration (great technique for making caps, tie stones, steps and much more)
• Walking Tour of on-site examples of dry laid stone walls (discussion)
• Safety, tools, worksite, equipment
• Possible Demo & Operation of Mini Skid Steer (participation is optional)
• Optional - Slideshow presentation Saturday end of day (Dependent on interest level)
Stone type: Flat bedded sandstone local to region. Wall stone including Laurel Mountain, Colonial Blue Stone and PA fieldstone to name a few.
This workshop is also great for those who are interested in Retaining Walls. A freestanding wall is the same fundamental principles.
(Note: this workshop will be a strip out and rebuild of an existing wall. Some tools will be covered in this workshop.)
This Workshop will help the participant look carefully at the stone before choosing it for a specific use. This helps increase productivity and the economy of effort.
• There are many ways in which we can mark stone, this will be described and demonstrated throughout the workshop.
• Which Hammer should I use? What is its purpose? When should I use it? Which one should I buy? All part of the workshop.
• Which Chisel should I use? What is its purpose? When should I use it? Which one should I buy? Again, all part of the workshop.
• Using Diamond Blade Saws and Diamond tipped Grinders, Do’s and Don'ts.
• Working on Banker Benches, design and ease of use and practicalities.
• Texturing Stone for a finished surface.
• Tips on Drilling Stone including Feather and Wedge...and so much more!
• Shaping workshop, Hand Tools, Power tools, feather wedging and so much more!
(Note: YOU MUST HAVE - PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) for this workshop. Safety and use of this equipment is of paramount importance during the workshop.)
(YOU MUST HAVE EITHER DSWA/DSC LEVEL 1 / TAKEN PRIOR WORKSHOPS OR PROFESSIONAL MASONRY SKILLS - to sign up for this Cheekend workshop)
(Note: you must have your own PPE, along with tools for shaping and dressing stone)
Why: I (Mark Jurus) have been walling since 2007 and have worked with some of the best stone masons in the world. I'm currently dual certified by the DSC USA and DSWA UK.
I felt a need for local workshops that would help people who are interested in the craft of dry laid stone learn without having to travel 7-10 hours. By teaching others the craft of dry laid stone, I continue to pass on a life skill to generations that follow. Learning a craft is not only gratifying but helps to preserve the beauty of our environment using natural stone from mother earth.
Who: Anyone interested in learning the craft of dry laid stone construction. The workshop will focused on those who have little or no experience however experienced masons / hardscapers may find this beneficial as refresher course or as an additional service to offer their clients.
For those of you who would like to build a retaining wall this is a great place to start. Just like learning how to spell words you must first learn the alphabet.
~ For those who may not have their own basic mason tools, I will lend you a set for use during the workshop. Do not buy tools for these events. "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY" Tools. See Our Sponsors Below.
~ Contractor Workshops are designed for students who have already taken a dry laid stone workshop or have previous masonry experience. These workshops require a bit more speed and energy.
Rockin Walls Is The ONLY Training Center in North America with "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY" Tools program. **
• CUSTOM GROUP WORKSHOPS AVAILABLE! Custom workshops available to fit your group's needs. No other training center offers the opportunity to work with you to meet your dates and groups needs. As a business owner I know how hard it can be to find time with hectic schedules.